18 Nov 2015

Remembrance Sunday

I joined with thousands of others across the UK on Remembrance Sunday to pay tribute to those who fought and died in war and conflict. It was an opportunity for us all to reflect on the tragic loss of life that comes with war and also its lasting effect on many who survived including those from my father’s generation. It is hard to believe that just 70 years ago my father was in a Japanese prisoner of war camp never knowing if he would ever see his family again.  Like many I have been wearing my poppy with pride, not to condone or glorify war or killing, but to remember those who laid down their lives to give us the freedoms we enjoy today. I was pleased to see so many people, including many young folk, turn out to pay their respects to the fallen in Johnstone, Paisley and Barrhead despite the dreadful weather. It’s important that we not only honour those who died but that we learn the lessons which will help us to try to avoid such tragedies happening in the future.